Saturday, February 7, 2009

NY, NY

I drove from West Hartford, CT to New York City today.  Yesterday, I crossed the frozen Hudson River, highway empty except for one car far in the distance ahead of me, and the light a grey-blue of such piercing clarity that I wondered if I had accidentally driven into a Guillermo Del Toro movie.  There were no strange midgets with alarming overbites though, so clearly I was not.

I drove to West Hartford to visit an old college friend of my mother's, and current friend of mine.  Her house is a cozy brick haven, decorated with lights and stained glass, and I even noticed that before plummeting face-first into the sheets in her spare bedroom and sleeping.  I was so tired I was actually shaking, which is hilarious given that all I did was drive for 8.5 hours.  I mean, I did it while stuffing my face with horrible sugary snack foods -- after a bowl of mini-wheats and some yogurt that morning, all I ate all day was half a brownie, a handful of Nibs, some CornNuts, and some marshmallow creme hearts that were 60 cents per 100g at the Bulk Barn.  Then I had Pad Thai.

So we talked about music and politics and life and husbands and photography and pretty much everything ever, which was wonderful.  Then I got in my car and drove to New York...well, more technically, Queens.  There I joined a party thrown by my fashion designer friend Kazuki and her numerous extremely gay stylist/designer friends, who actually spent about an hour discussing Coco Chanel in depth.  Kazuki calls them her stepdaughters "Aunties".

Driving across the Triboro Bridge was kind of impressive -- it was about 4:30, and I could see the whole blue-ish smoggy delta of Manhattan looming through the afternoon sun.  The Empire State Building's spire peeked at me, and the White Album blasted on my iPod.

Life is great.

No comments: