Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vote.

John Scalzi's note on Prop 8.

Record turnouts at the polls; they're estimating a 64% turnout, which would be the most since 1908, which is actually really sad when you think about it.

My friend Amy made me VERY nervous this morning by saying she had seen my name in the polling place under the absentee ballot lists WITHOUT a checkmark next to it.  I never received confirmation of the ballot, but it was pretty late getting in; I never got the ballots until late, and then had to mail the write-in along with the absentee.  Now I am worried it didn't get counted.  PA is definitely blue; I probably SHOULD have registered in Ohio, where they need all the help they can get.

I feel SQUEEZED.  The tension is killing me.  I'm taking Justin down to the polls later and planning to bring cookies for people who turned out.  It's not going to make a huge difference in the long run -- at the least the Presidential part won't, one politician is pretty much like another and whoever he is, he'll be gone in 8 years -- but it feels scary.  And I have many friends who could have their rights taken away, rights they already won.  And as a woman, my rights are also in danger.

So vote.  Please vote.  You probably already have, and one tiny blog won't make a difference, but vote anyway.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

> It's not going to make a huge difference in the long run -- at the least the Presidential part won't, one politician is pretty much like another and whoever he is, he'll be gone in 8 years

Tell that to the parents of thousands of dead american soldiers, and hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians. If Gore was president we'd not be in that war, and the treasury would be about 4 trillion dollars richer, and arguably, this recession wouldn't be happening.

That's just one of many examples. Real change starts at the bottom, but must engage those at the top. Who wins does matter. Any other perspective is cynical and defeatist.

AntiM said...

I voted last week, else I'd not have made it today. In Utah, absentee ballots are only counted if the election is close. I really have to check that and see if it is fact!

Unknown said...

it's cool, as we went blue by a wide margin!

amy