Sunday, September 21, 2008

Snowbirds

The Snowbirds did an air show off the end of Victoria, in Beacon Hill Park.  They dipped and dove and flipped and danced, and traced a heart, then pierced it with an arrow and were generally amazing and death defying.  They swooped low over the city and broke out into a fan and the sound of them passing followed them by a loooong time.

And I looked at them and thought how lucky I am to be living in a country (two countries, technically) where this is the only context that I have to see fighter pilots flying over my city.  I don't have to hide under a table or protect my children.  Instead, I can ooh and ahh and clap at the twists and turns of military planes showing off.

The world is a funny, and occasionally poignant, place.

1 comment:

AntiM said...

As I read your post, I can hear the jets over at Hill AFB roaring.