Thursday, May 14, 2009

Comings and goings


This weekend, Justin and I are flying to San Jose. It was an unexpected trip, although it couldn't have happened at a better time: Southwest had a "50% off fares to Bay area" fare sale the very day we bought the tickets. But why are we going? Because Justin's Nana died.

Nana was in the hospital for a long time. She was in and out for years. This last time, she was in the hospital for almost a month. She couldn't walk, or even talk much; it was painful for her to listen to your voice. As Justin put it on his Facebook status, "Nana died while Grandpa Paul was telling everyone the story of how he got crabs from some girl. I guess she was tired of that story."

Nana was in so much pain at the end that they put her on palliative care; she had a constant opiate drip that kept her from gritting her teeth as her body gave out. You could press a finger into her skin and the dent would stay, rising up slowly like sourdough. The last time I saw her, I told Justin it looked like she had given up hope.

She always told him she loved him. She always hugged me and called me sweetheart. Justin's mom told me how much Nana liked to see him happy. She wanted to go on a cruise before she died, but she died too fast to make it.

On the other end of the spectrum, my friends in Pittsburgh went and did some adding to the world:

Meet Aislynn.

No comments: