Saturday, October 25, 2008

...in America

Yesterday I found myself on Venice Beach.

One of the most redeeming features of LA is that it's sunny and warm here when it's freezing and miserable elsewhere in the world; this is a major plus to me and a major downside to my friend Superkate, whose idea of perfect weather is Chicago.  There's no accounting for taste.  But I can almost put up with the traffic, and having to drive everywhere, and the smog, and the high prices of everything, thanks to the sunshine and palm trees and GRAPEFRUITS growing on trees, they actually have CITRUS TREES in their YARDS here!  This is the land of plenty!

Still, I've been here for...17 days already and have still not yet been to the beach.  This is because Justin, along with his hatred of trees, also hates the water and the sand and bathing suits (I'm with him on the last one).  So I have been waiting for a good time to go on my own.  And it finally came.

There is something wonderful about sitting on the sand in the sun in October, your shirtsleeves rolled up, your pants tucked in, reading a book about fundamentalist Mormons and enjoying the rushing sound of waves, watching hot chicks in bikinis do yoga and hot guys in flowered trunks go jogging, and the red-suited Baywatch-style lifeguards shout at me to stop climbing on the rocks.  It's OCTOBER.  And I'm in a tank top.  And still sweating.  Hi, Canadians!  

Then I walked down the boardwalk to the cool hat store and flirted with the idea of buying something stylish before realizing that I never wear hats so it would be pointless.  I bought some ice cream.  A hairdressing teacher from Sassoon ran over and asked if I would be a demo model.  Then I got in my car (naturally) and drove to the Museum of Jurassic Technology.

By the end of the day, I felt so peaceful, so happy, so calm in the world.  There was the wide expanse of water and the sound of waves, the puzzlement of art and the glee of discovery, and sweet communication with people I miss.  It was a good day, a strong one, and left me full of things I can barely express.

This morning I woke up and had some intense conversation via instant message which left me feeling as though a puzzle piece of my personality is that much closer to being in place.  Self-revelation via a day of wonderment and the joys of technology...hooray for navel-gazing!

(Speaking of navel-gazing, I'm performing tonight at Desert Rose Hookah Lounge on Vineland in North Hollywood)

1 comment:

AntiM said...

Ah, California. I am a California by birth, and even inclination, I do love the Pacific Ocean. I too hate swim suits and sand in the wrong places. I mean, we went to frickin' Hawaii and didn't go to the beach. Well, except to walk in the sand, but not to swim.

However, as much as I love Cali and it is in my blood, I cannot live there. I get nervous, then edgy then reckless and downright crazy.

I haven't been to Venice Beach since 1977 ... I bet the essence of it hasn't changed a bit.

The museum, I would love that! And the performance, tres cool.